Although her passion for nutrition may have started in a six-lane pool at Saint Louis University, Melanie Battaglia’s dream to become a dietitian materialized on dry land at Feed to Succeed.
Melanie began shadowing founder Betsy Hjelmgren at Feed to Succeed in 2012 before completing her dietetic internship and obtaining her master’s degree in clinical nutrition from Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
Passionate about working with youth and teen athletes to help them meet their nutritional needs for growth and development, Melanie also provides tools that help her patients adequately fuel for their sport.
“My years as a Division 1 swimmer at Saint Louis University have given me a strong appreciation for teamwork,” Melanie says. “Supporting the physical and emotional needs of my patients and collaborating with other pediatricians and specialists – the team – comes naturally to me and sets my patients up for a lifetime of good strategies.”
In her free time, Melanie loves cooking, trying out new recipes, and training for and competing in triathlons and endurance sports.
July 20, 2020 by Brett Singer MS,RD,CSSD,LD
Melanie completed her Sports Nutrition Residency Training with Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute.
Melanie has spent the last ten months training with our team as she supported numerous athletic programs across the community. She has been an incredible asset to our team taking the lead on a wide variety of projects. Throughout her time in Houston, Melanie dedicated her time to grow and develop as a practitioner. Among her many accomplishments, Melanie achieved the following:
- Co-Authored a text book chapter on Hydration for Sports Performance which is set to be published in Winter of 2021
- Taught 4 CEU Lectures for PTs, ATs, RDs
- Taught 1 Graduate Level lecture for Athletic Training Students and 1 undergraduate level lecture on nutrition
- Delivered 40 + presentations for various community groups
- Delivered 50 + presentations for her two primary programs (Stratford High School & University of St. Thomas)
- Attended 40 + educational lectures provided by practitioners from programs throughout the country (Houston Rockets, Houston Astros, Northwestern, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Mavericks, University of North Texas & more)
Brett Singer MS,RD,CSSD,LD
Sports Dietitian – Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Sports Institute
Sports Dietitian – Houston Dynamo
CPSDA Membership and Secretary Chair
- Adolescent nutrition (tweens and teens)
- Group presentations
- Picky eating
- Sports nutrition
- Sports team talks
- Weight management